Monday, July 06, 2009

4th of July








The annual Fourth of July parade in Rancho Santa Fe is always a nice way to celebrate the holiday. This year was no exception. It seemed like the whole Ranch was there. The community really gets into the spirit of the day. There were many people in red white and blue lining the sidewalks on either side of the main street, Paseo Delicias. Many people were also waving flags as the procession moved along. The singing of the National Anthem was the signal for the parade to start. As is customary, the procession was led by the Marine Corps color guard, then the fire engines of the Rancho Santa Fe Fire Department with sirens blaring rolled through. After was the procession of classic cars, tractors, children on decorated bicycles and other modes of transportation, and people riding horses. My niece and nephews took part in the parade. My nephew, Stetson was with his Cub Scout troop riding a skateboard. In some of the cars were some of our politicians: our Congressman, Brian Bilbray; Assemblyman Martin Garrick; County Supervisor, Bill Horn; and the new Sheriff of San Diego County, Bill Gore. After the parade everyone gathered on the village green for food and music by an orchestra playing patriotic music and other American Standards. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. The whole event has a small town feel to it, and brings the community together. Events like this remind me why this is a great community to live in.

In the evening, my sister and brother-in-law came over with my niece and nephews for a nice dinner outside on the sun deck. After that, I watched the annual Fourth of July concert from Washington, D.C. Since I wasn't able to go see fireworks, it was nice to see the fireworks over Washington, D.C. on television. It is not the Fourth of July without fireworks.

2 comments:

alex schaefer said...

AWESOME! Looks like fun, I wish I were there. See you soon!

Dallas Rose said...

I love you!!!!!!!!! I rode in the parade on a scooter with my best friend Morgan!!!!!!! See you tonight!!!!! Love, Dallas