Friday, July 17, 2009

41st Birthday Party






Last Saturday, July 11 was my forty-first birthday party. This year, I decided to keep it small, and simple. I just invited close friends and immediate family. It was a low-keyed affair. We hung out around the pool at my parent's and my house, socializing and having a good time. My best friend Alex painted a portrait of me with oil paints in twenty minutes (check out his blog post about the portrait). It provided an interesting diversion as my guests watched the portrait take shape. The final product was very good.


As I sat there visiting with my friends and enjoying the day, I felt blessed to have the friends and family that I have. Everyone truly enjoyed spending the afternoon in celebration of another birthday. Sometimes the simplest celebrations are the most enjoyable. My fortieth birthday party was so wonderful that there was no way it could be surpassed. Everyone still has fond memories of that day. In homage to last year's celebration, the cake was decorated with butterflies (a reference to the release of monarch butterflies at last year's celebration), and said Happy 1st Anniversary of Your 40th Birthday. Towards the end of the party, my niece, Dallas sang a song for me from the swimming pool (an interesting choice of venue). That was very thoughtful of her and a special touch to end off an enjoyable afternoon. A nice day spent with my family and friends is the best present I can ever receive. Everybody left the party in good spirits. A sign of another wonderful party.

2 comments:

Wheelchair Hiker said...

Sounds like a great party, way cool on the portrait of you.

Cheers - Mark

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

sounds like you had fun, congrats