Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer


Last night I went with my father and nurse, Ernie to visit my sister, niece, and nephews at their home. My brother-in-law was out for the evening, and my mother was at rehearsal for the choral group she belongs to. It gave me more one on one time with my sister. We all gathered around the television to watch the beloved Christmas (Am I still allowed to use that word? I hope the politically correct crowd doesn't get after me) classic Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. It is still my favorite Christmas show. It always brings up fond memories of my childhood when my parents would gather my brother, sister, and I in our pajamas in the den to watch the Christmas shows on television. It makes me smile to think of it. I like that my sister is carrying on the tradition with her children.

The reason I have always liked Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer is because I could relate to him. It is about being different and not fitting in; a theme I am well aquainted with as a disabled person. I remember as a child being excluded because I was not like everybody else and being made fun of. The nice part is that in the end Rudolph is accepted by the community despite the fact that he is different. It is a good lesson for life.

2 comments:

datri said...

Every since my youngest was born with Down syndrome 3 years ago, I can't watch Rudolph without crying. The Misfit Toys especially send me into tears. You know the bit about how even Misfit Toys just need a home where they will be loved. I don't know if Rudolph was intended to be a commentary on disability and inclusion, but it was certainly ahead of its time of that issue!

Anonymous said...

John,

MY kids love, love love Rudolph. I have been enjoying watching those old Burl Ives stop-motion films that were made in the 60s. Merry Christmas!

Nick Nicholas