Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cardiologist

Yesterday I went to see a cardiologist for the first time. I had never felt the need to see a cardiologist because I never had any heart issues. This is unusual since Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy affects the heart. I guess I have been lucky. But, since I am nearing 40 and have DMD, I felt that I should have the ticker checked out. I went to UCSD/Thornton Hospital in La Jolla for my appointment with Dr. Rasinghani. When I got there I was given an EKG and then the doctor came in to examine and talk with me. The EKG results were not a cause for concern to him. That was good to hear. But, an EKG only gives part of the picture. To get a closer look at my heart, the doctor ordered an echocardiogram. I will go in on May 1 to have it done. I feel that it won't reveal any problems. Nonetheless, I will be relieved to get it done for my own piece of mind. It is better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: