Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dinner with the Pros












(1)Me and my sister, Bibbi
(2)Me, Junior Seau and my sister
(3)Me and Drew Brees
(4)Me and Kyle Turley
(5)Me, my sister, David Wells(L), and Billy Ray Smith(R)
(6)Me and Phil Nevin
(7)Me and Joe Horn
(8)Me and John & Holly Carney


Last night I attended a charity event called Dinner with the Pros. It was a fundraiser for TAPS (Teen Adolescent Placement Services), a wonderful organization which helps troubled teens and their families. There were many athletes from Major League Baseball, the NFL, and Golf in attendance. It was arranged by John Carney(NFL)and his wife, Holly with the help of Phil Nevin (MLB) and Tina Mickelson (LPGA). I was a guest of my friends, John and Holly, who have supported TAPS for several years. John Carney, for those who don't know, is a kicker for the Kansas City Chiefs (previously he played for the New Orleans Saints and before that the San Diego Chargers).

The event started off with a local rock band, The Fijis. They are three tenth graders who play blues and rock. For teenagers they were pretty good. Then there was a magic show with the magician Steve Spellman using pro athletes as assistants. He performed at my 39th birthday bash last year. He is humorous and very talented. The show went pretty well, except for Steve falling off the stage. After the entertaining show they showed, a tribute to friends John Carney and Junior Seau. The evening got serious when they talked about the great work of TAPS. Two teenage girls that were helped by TAPS gave their moving testimonials. The evening ended with an auction. All through the evening there was also a silent auction of sports memorabilia. It was nice to be able to mingle and talk with the athletes. I met Junior Seau(NFL; New England Patriots), David Wells(MLB; Pitcher for the LA Dodgers), Drew Brees(NFL; Quarterback for the New Orleans Saints), Phil Nevin(MLB), Kyle Turley(NFL;New Orleans Saints), Joe Horn(NFL;Atlanta Falcons), Billy Ray Smith(ex-NFL, local sportscaster). They were all very nice and all posed for pictures with me. Junior Seau gave me his autograph. I usually don't like to ask for autographs, but he offered it. It was an enjoyable night.

5 comments:

Lance Anderson said...

Hey John

Sounds like a great night and I love the photos!

Cheers,

--Lance

alex schaefer said...

Hey John! Got caught up on your blog. What fun you're having! And "Darious Goes West" sounds like a great film! How cool. Thanks for letting me know the latest!

-alex

Anonymous said...

John:

I met you at the dinner. I was a kind guest of BiBi and Rick. I sat at your table and really enjoyed the festivities. You really attracted the good looking women and the athletes. Anyway, it was a great evening and I enjoyed meeting Ernie.

This is my first blog. I thank you for giving me the invite. I will have to do more in the future. I am impressed with your selection of music. I think we have the same taste in music. Also, I have been a huge fan of your physicist friend, Stephen. I may have mentioned I do biomedical research. We have just started a project on ALS. I have a wonderful young student from Italy that just joined my lab and we hope to make some great progress on molecular and genetic aspects of ALS. I will keep you posted.

Take care and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Best,

John Cashman

Rick Rockhill said...

awesome, really cool pictures, what a great event

yanmaneee said...

nike kyrie 7
stephen curry shoes
kyrie irving shoes
yeezy shoes
jordan 1 low
golden goose outlet
jordan 4
kd shoes
ggdb
hermes belt